Assessor Frequently Asked Questions

How do I combine or divide my land?

You should always contact the assessor as your first step. If you meet the requirements, you will proceed with the application. If you do not, or are a platted lot needing division, you will be directed to the Zoning Administrator to review options and be placed on an upcoming agenda for approval before moving forward with the assessor. 

An applicant shall file all of the following with the Township Assessor or other official designated by the Fenton Township Board, for review and approval of a proposed land division, or combination before making any division either by deed, land contract, lease for more than one year, or for building development. (Application for Land Division can be found here and Application for Combination or a Repartition of a Platted Lot can be found here.)

When combining or dividing land, the existing “parent parcel number” will be retired, and a new “child” number will be issued for the effective year of the land division or combination. Afete the Land Division is completed for the following year you will also be required to refile your Principal Residence Exemption on the new parcel number and a Request to Rescind on the retired parcel number. 

  1. A completed application form provided by the Township.
  2. Proof of ownership.
  3. A survey map or drawing to scale of existing land and proposed divisions with legals. (See application for additional items to be identified.)
  4. Certificate from the County Treasurer all property taxes and special assessments due on the parcel or tract for the preceding 5 years have been paid in full. PA 23 of 2019. (County Treasurer contact number 810-257-3054).
  5. Proof that all Standards of the State Land Division Act (Public Act 591 of 1996, Effective 3-31,1997) and the Township Land Division Ordinance (Ordinance #516) have been met.
  6. All divisions shall comply with minimum area and width requirements of the Fenton Township.
  7. Fees:
    Parcel Split – Metes & Bounds $100.00
    Parcel Split – Platted Lots (If public hearing $100.00 not required)
    Parcel Combination – Platted or Metes & Bounds $100.00
    Parcel Split – New Plat or Condominium Development First 2 lots/units $100.00
    Additional lots/units over 2 $ 25.00 per lot/unit
  8. Sign and date a copy of Resolution No. 2000-40. The resolution states,” The payment of property taxes, which are due and payable on July 1st and December 1st of any given year, for any parcel of real property that has been divided and sold during the same year, shall be the responsibility of the record owner of said property at the time the application to divide the property is submitted to the Charter Township of Fenton”.

Do you have flood plain maps?

Yes, flood plain maps are available for viewing purposes. We are not experts in the Flood Hazard Areas. The maps are for Flood Insurance purposes. To determine if Flood Insurance is available in this community, contact your insurance agent, or call the National Flood Insurance Program at (800) 638-6620 or (800) 424-8872.

How can I get the square footage, story height, lot size, parcel number, assessed value, taxable value, or legal description of a property?

You may go to our Assessing Department website or call our assessing office @ 810-629-3445. Be sure to have an owner’s last name, or a street number/address, or a parcel number available to assist the staff in identifying the information you need.

How does the Assessor determine the market value of my home?

As of December 31st each year, Tax Day, the Assessor is required by Michigan State Law to assess at 50% of true cash value all assessable property within Fenton Township. This includes homes, commercial properties, industrial properties, agricultural properties, vacant land, and personal property used to operate business. After gathering pertinent information, such as sales, construction costs, rental incomes, operating expenses, and interest rates, the Assessor determines a property value in three different ways.

  1. Sales Comparison Approach. First, to estimate the value of a property as of a given date, the Assessor selects, objectively analyzes, and makes the necessary adjustment for differences on recently sold comparable homes or properties. It is important to realize that the sales price for an individual property does not necessarily dictate the market value of that property.
  2. Cost Approach. Second, the Assessor determines at current materials and labor costs, how much money it would take to replace your home or building with one just like it. This approach provides an estimate of value based on a determination of land value added to the depreciated cost of buildings and other improvements. If your home or building is not new, the Assessor determines how much it has depreciated due to normal wear and tear or any negative factors. The value of your lot as vacant, is also estimated from sales, and added to the value of the home or building.
  3. Income Approach. The third approach provides an estimate of value by analyzing the income producing capacity of investment property. Investment property is worth the present value of income that is to be received in the future. This approach is used mostly for appeals of commercial and industrial properties, or for houses used as a rental property.

My assessment went up this year, and I did nothing new to my house. Why?

Since assessments must be set by market value, changing real estate values in the community will be reflected in assessments. Market value is a product of the prices paid for property. As prices increase or decrease, so does market value. Property owners have a responsibility to report any changes to the Assessor on their home or property that would affect value. Our building department does notify us of any building permits issued. If you plan to make changes or demo a house, contact our office.

My house is not worth the value you have on it. What are my rights of appeal?

First, if your opinion of the value of your property differs from the Assessor’s, come to our office and discuss the matter. We are here to listen and help you. Second, after receiving your February Assessment notice, go to the March Board of Review the 2nd Monday in March at the Fenton Township Civic Community Center to exercise your right of appeal. Be sure to support your opinion of value with a list of recent sales in the local area, provide pictures showing the condition and depreciation of your home, or bring a recent appraisal of comparable homes with similar size, story height, lot size, square footage, amenities, and the same school district. If denied by the March Board of Review, petition to the Michigan Tax Tribunal in writing by June 30th. The mailing address is: Michigan Tax Tribunal, P.O. Box 30232, Lansing, MI 48909.

What are my taxes this year, and can I find out what my neighbor’s taxes are?

Current and delinquent taxes can be obtained from the Fenton Township Treasurer (810-629-1537), or Genesee County Treasurer’s office (810-257-3054)You may also obtain copies under the Fenton Township Treasurers Department on the website here

Yes, under FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) you can also request your neighbor’s taxes. (Click here for the Genesee County website. Click here for the County Treasurer’s Office website.)

What is a Principal Residence Exemption (P.R.E.), and how do I qualify?

To qualify for a PRE, a person must be a Michigan resident who owns and occupies the property as a principal residence. The PRE is a separate program from the Homestead Property Tax Credit, which is filed annually with your Michigan Individual Income Tax Return.

If you own and occupy your home as a principal residence, it may be exempt from a portion of your local school operating taxes. A Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit issued under Authority of P.A. 237 of 1994 must be completed and filed with your township or city by June 1st or November 1st (This qualifying deadline is determined for the summer and/or winter tax bill. Depending upon when your school district collects the tax). Owning means you hold the legal title, or you are currently buying it on a land contract that is on file with the local assessor. (Renters should not file this form.) Occupying means your principal residence is the place you intend to return to whenever you go away. It is the address that appears on your Driver License or Voter Registration Card. Your children should attend school from this address, and your State Income Tax Form is received there. A Farmland Exemption or Agricultural Use Exemption is for property classified agricultural by the Assessor or the property devoted use to agricultural is 50% or more. To qualify, Contact the local Assessor for an explanation of details and request a copy of Form 2599 deadline for filing this form is May 1. (The Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit can be found at this link. The Farmland Exemption Form can be found at this link.)

What is a Property Transfer Affidavit?

Whenever real estate or some types of personal property are transferred from one owner to another, this form must be filed. It is used by the Assessor to ensure the property is assessed properly and receives the correct taxable value. It must be filed by the new owner with the Assessor for the city or township where the property is located within 45 days of the transfer. If it is not filed timely, a penalty of $5/day (maximum $200) applies. This form is issued under Authority of P.A. 415 of 1994, and filing is mandatory. (The Property Transfer Affidavit can be found here.)

What is and How to understand your Assessment Change Notice

Please view the attached file at the bottom of the Assessing FAQ page, under Supporting Documents, for a diagram and guide of the 2022 Assessment Change Notice. 

What is the difference between Assessed Value and Taxable Value?

The Assessed Value of a property is 50% of the estimated “true cash value” that a property potentially will sell for in the open market without any special conditions. The Taxable Value is used for the calculation of property taxes. The millages voted in by local taxpayers are spread over the Taxable Value to determine a tax obligation by the taxpayer. Taxes are used to pay for services and schools within the local and county area. For the specific calculations, you should discuss this with your local Assessor or Treasurer.

What school district am I in, and what is the homestead and non-homestead rate?

Who and what determines the value of my home?

Who? A certified Assessor for Fenton Township is to assess all property in the township at its estimated fair market value.

What? The market value of your property is the probable price that it would sell for in an arm’s length transaction between a willing buyer and a willing seller on the open market. Market value, in Michigan, is defined as “true cash value." Market value changes from one year to the next.

Why, and when, do I have to Rescind/Withdraw my Principal Residence Exemption?

Why? Filing a Request to Rescind Form, issued under Authority of P.A. 237 of 1994, enables people who are selling or converting their home to another use to rescind their exemption. It also enables people to change the percentage that they occupy as their principal residence, or to remove an exemption they had been receiving erroneously. 

When? Immediately when you change your occupancy. (i.e., moved to another home as your primary, converted to a rental home or air bnb, when a family member qualifying for the Principal Residence has deceased (The Rescind/Withdraw Form with instructions is available at this link.)

View All FAQ's

Share This Page